Strive That Ye May Obtain

Sunday, August 8, 2010


Message from Mr.Goh Chit Yong - Ex-Principal


After completing my teaching training course at Northcote College Of Education, Hong Kong in July 1964, I returned to Sabah. Had it not been for the kindness of the Director of Education,Sabah, Mr. G.D. Muir, I would not come back to Beaufort to render my service. I was posted to St Paul's School as a supernumerary staff. On 26th Aug 1964, I reported duty to the principal, Mr. Noel Chin. I taught arithmetics, geography, history and P.E. in primary five classes. At the same time, temporary arrangement was assigned for me to teach geography at the secondary school. Though I have to cycle for a distance of about 1/2 km from the primary school to the secondary school to teach, I enjoyed my work. Sometimes I walked to the secondary school when it was raining.

By Aug 1965, I left for further study at Chung Chi College, the Chinese university of Hong Kong. After obtaining my B.Sci degree, I rejoined St Paul's Secondary School on 22nd Sept 1966. From 1966 to 1969, I taught geography, history,PE and agriculture science. In 1968, I was appointed as the Sports Master and also joined the school basketball team which won the Beaufort basketball Open Championship in the Min Thien Cup Tournament organised by the Beaufort Basketball Association.

By Aug 1968, our principal ,Mr. Noel Chin was transferred to All Saints School as the new principal. Rev C.O.Hurford was appointed as the new principal.

By Sept 1970, Rev Hurford left on grounds of health, earlier then anticipated. Archdeacon A.Briggs, Manager of Anglican Schools and Vicar-General made the temporary arrangement by appointing Mr.Noel Chin to act as the Supervisor of the school while I acted for the principal until the appointment of a new principal.

Lacking administration experiences, I was in a dilemma to accept the challenge. After careful considerations, I decided to accept the offer. I have a special debt to Mr.Noel Chin for all the advices, encouragement and confidence he gave to enable me to run the school without much difficulties. On 5th Nov.1970, I was appointed as the principal of St Paul's Secondary School by the Director of Education., Sabah, effective from 21st Sept 1970.

Being a new and inexperienced principal, I was facing problems to finance, staff and school development. In finance,the school account was in deficit. It urgently needed to obtain sufficient funds for the general expenditures of the school. With the kind assistance of Archdeacon A Briggs, a loan of RM15,000 was obtained. The school had to pay back the loan in the next five years.By 1975, the loan was fully settled. it was a relief to me as my burden was lightened.

In staff, in the early 1970s, the school was very much dependent on expatriate teachers from India and Burma. They were Mr. Thomas Varghese, Mdm Mary Varghese, Mr. PS Bell, Miss Janie Bell and Ms Leela Nair. Later, the recruitment of expatriate teachers came to a complete stop. We had to rely on teachers from Peninsular Malaysia. Most of these teachers served for a period of 2-3 years. Then they left for good as they were employed by the education Dept. as temporary teachers without salary increments after 2 years. They were Mr.Wan Sham Wan Ismail, Mr. Abd Rahim Deros, Mr. Leow Guan Hing, Ms Doreen Eng, Mr. Voon Lun Chong, Ms Francisaca Ng, Mr Liew Kai Sun, Mr. Lim Kar Keng, Ms Theresa Liew Yuet Fun, Mr. Yew Choo Khan, Mr. Dhana Palan, Mrs Ritchie ,Ms Liew Phet Hiong, Ms Chuah Kooi Kheng, Mr.Ng Teng Huat, Mr. Tan San Chor, Ms Noriah Hamzah, Ms Chong Kim Thye, Ms Goh Siew Giok, Mr Soo Kok Weng and other.

In addition to depending on local teachers such as Mr. Voo tet Chung, Mr Lo Shiau Khi, Mdm Ho Luke Chi, Mr Peter Chin, Ms Angela Leong, Mr Goh Ang Hui, Ms Chin Ee Jan, Mr Hiew Tien Choi, Mr Chong Ah Yin, Ms Tay Jy Lee and Mr Chang Chung Ling, the school took measures to secure the services of our students who had completed and passed the senior cambridge examination and Malaysian Cert exam. Most of them worked for a short period of time. They were Ms Doris Pang, Ms Connie Ng Moi ,Ms Annie Liew, Mr. Roland Liew Thau Yun, Mr. Shamsul Ngathiu Tamsir, Mr Allan Mathews, Ms Lucy Phung Yun Ching, Mr Mohd Shafie Matzain, Mr Bali Yusuf, Ms Ella Chong, Mr Chin Chee Kee and Ms Foo Ngai Mee. Some of them left for further studies at the local and overseas higher institutions. Some of them were engaged with the local firms in Kota Kinabalu.

Running a school was a very heavy task, I was fortunate enough to have the full support from the Diocese of Sabah, The School Board as well as the dedicated and helpful staff who made my work easier and lighter. I was greatly indebted to them for their kind support, co-operation and assistance whenever they were needed.

On 8th April 1989, I received a letter from the Director of Education Sabah,, informing me that Mr.Ng Kim Huat from SMK Bongawan would take over St Paul's Secondary School as the new principal. I became his senior assistant until my retirement on 20th April 1995.

GOH CHIT YONG
PRINCIPAL
1970-1989
Source : The Leaven Special Edition
(1958 - 2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment